Monday, January 7, 2008

Preserve the Sexy

Have you ever seen the Proactiv commercial with P. Diddy? He says you have to "Preserve the Sexy". I've realized that I have not "Preserved the Sexy" over the past seveal years. Marriage and motherhood has not been good for my figure. Pregnancy really did me in....as has chardonnay. Truth be told, I have gained nearly 30 lbs in the past 8 years. 10 of it from pregnancy, 15 from marriage and the other 5 from the inevitable aging process. Sadly, I have lost sight of what used to be fundamentally important to me, and that is being fit and healthy.

This is my year to regain that part of myself. I am embarking on a journey to make slow, sustainable lifestyle changes to bring the"SexyBack" (How many other pop references can I make here?).

This isn't your typical New Years Resolution where you will listen to me rattle on about how I am going to give up all carbs, wine, pizza and candy and spend countless hours in the gym. Nope. My only goal right now is to run a 5K in early April. We'll see where it goes from there. I hate dieting, I hate counting "Points" and I hate telling myself I can't have something. Overall, I eat pretty healthy (most of the time!). I don't drink soda, I rarely eat fast food and I am careful to avoid processed foods as much as I am able. I believe in the 80/20 rule. Eat well 80% of the time, so you can imbibe 20% of the time. Although sometimes it's 70/30 if we're being honest here.

So, for now, I am going to focus on getting back into shape and we'll tweak the diet later. One thing at a time...........small, sustainable changes.

Today I ran for a combined total of 15 minutes during a 40 min interval training session on the treadmill. It was a hell of a lot easier than when I started last Thursday. I finished up with a 10 min Yoga Abs workout on Exercise TV. Go me!

I've treated myself to a gym membership, new shoes and some shiny new sports bras. I want to be the sexiest bitch on the Richter boat this summer!! I am counting on all blog readers to keep me accountable!

No comments: