Tuesday, January 11, 2011

To Do

This post is 11 days in the making. What? Me a procrastinator? Never. However, I really wanted to take some time and think about what I wanted to blog about and since it's the new year I knew I had to talk about my resolutions, or lack thereof. I don't "do" resolutions. I mean, why set myself up for failure right? But before I look forward, I want to look backward at 2010. A retrospective if you will ;)

Here are the highlights from 2010.

1) The GREAT move. Really...what else is there? This has been documented thoroughly and I don't want to rehash it. It was THE HIGHLIGHT of the year (although I miss Colorado so, so so much).

2) Buying our new home. The whole thing needs to be updated, I hate the flooring and am not sure how we're going to pay for it all but dammit, we have a basement and a laundry room. It is perfect.

There were lots of good times throughout the whole year, sprinkled with some not so good times and some very tough goodbyes. It was definitely a year of highs and lows.

And now let's look forward. I've decided that this year I would put together a "To-Do" list in lieu of the resolutions I never do anymore. I think I read about that on a blog somewhere and thought it was a good idea. So, without further interruption.....

1) Use my time more valuably.
Someone once said, (maybe it was oprah...who knows) that you should divide up your free time between the things that you find valuable so your life is a reflection of your values. Do I find Facebook valuable? No. Do I find celebrity gossip valuable? Not really (but sometimes). How about checking my email a gazillion times a day? Only when I get something good which is almost never. I value family, friends, fitness, reading, traveling, my dogs and food. So, I plan on spending less time online and more time doing the things that I truly love. This is gonna be a tough one, because old habits die hard, but it's important to me that I work towards this.

2) Spend my money more wisely.
Again, the way I spend my money should be more reflective of what I value. Do I truly value the 13 pairs of jeans I have hanging in my closet? Ok, Ok...I value my skinny jeans and the long n' leans but the rest could have paid for a plane ticket somewhere so is that reflective of my values? No. I am going to try harder to follow our family budget so we can meet the financial goals we have set for our family. Again, this is gonna be tough. Especially with Target only 3 minutes away but it has to be done. We still have a fence to pay off. Ugh.

3) Get treatment for my ADD.
I have been struggling HARD with this lately. It affects the way I parent and what kind of wife I am to my husband. I regularly miss appointments and forget to pay bills on time. I procrastinate to the point that I get absolutely nothing done most days. I compulsively spend money (13 pairs of jeans anyone?) and lose my temper over minor things. It's not healthy and no way to live. The good news is, I have an appointment January 24th with a psychologist for an official evaluation. The hard part will be following through since I know they are going to make me go to therapy and I hate talking about my problems with strangers. But if I am ever going to get around to "Doing" #1 and #2 then this has to happen. My doctor currently has me on a mild anti-depressant to help with my mood swings, which is helping, but I still forget shit. Daily.

4) Continue rehabbing my back.
I have been pain free now for 2 months. Sciatica is absolutely debilitating and I wish it on no one. I don't EVER want it to return. I have been working super hard at the gym on strengthening my core and lower back. I have stronger abs than I ever have in my whole life. I want to continue to work on that and begin doing even more advanced exercises so that I can eventually return to harder workouts and get off that damn elliptical trainer.

5) Rehab the house.
I still need to strip wallpaper in the bathroom, back entry and laundry room. Once that is done, every one of those rooms need to be repainted as does the main entry, upstairs hallway and bathroom and the master bedroom. Then we are going to replace the flooring in the kitchen, mud room, laundry, main floor bath, foyer, living room and dining room (Oy!). Then a deck needs to be built. There's also cabinet hardware, lighting and window coverings to be replaced. Donations currently being accepted.

6) Speak up.
I am non-confrontational to a fault. Instead of just kicking my husband and telling him it's his turn to get up with Eva, I lay there and stew. All it does is allow my husband to get a good night of rest and for me to become increasingly resentful towards him. So not healthy. I need to learn to speak up for myself instead of hoping he'll just read my mind. This goes for all my relationships. Not sure how I am going to work through this. Therapy perhaps?

I could go on and on with things I'd like to improve on this year but these are the biggies. And I don't expect myself to have it all figured out by 12/31/11.

I still need to blog about Declan's 4th birthday. I can't believe my baby boy is 4. But, I need to catch up on my DVR shows like "The Bachelor" (yes, I VALUE the Bachelor dammit). Have a good night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am going to go ahead and assume that by "non-confrontational" you mean towards everyone but your siblings. Because that is now the word I would use to describe the sister I have grown to know and...uh..love. ;)Oh, and congrats on taking the step and going in for the ADD- therapy isn't so bad. Actually kind of refreshing to have a non-judgemental ear to spill your guts to.

-Leesha.