Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Relaxing in the Rockies












This past weekend the Folgers headed west to escape the 100 degree heat in Denver. We decided that we would head to Vail to do some camping and become one with nature. With our cooler filled to the brim with beer, brats and chee-tos we headed deep into the Holy Cross Wilderness area of the Rockies to scope out our site. We eventually settled on this little knoll surrounded with pines about 200 yards off the Gore Creek.  It was so beautiful!  The only downside was the lack of an actual bathroom. That's when it pays to have a penis. 

After the long car ride, a stop in Vail to prick up Brian, and the hour or so it took us to get our campsite set up we were ready for some cold brews.  We crack open our first beer and the first rain drop hits along with a big thunderclap. Thankfully we remembered to bring along a tarp and Thomas tied it up on some trees. Fortunately it only sprinkled for a short time but it sure brought out the mosquitos!

We had planned to do some hiking but decided the beer was going down to good. Declan and Brian hung out with us for the afternoon and then left about 7'ish. I can't think of anything worse than trying to get a 19 month old down for the night in a tent so Uncle Brian was nice enough to offer to babysit for the night! Tom and I settled in for some S'mores and then I realized that I had packed everything but the marshmallows. Seriously? How do you forget marshmallows when you go camping?

It was an uneventful evening. No bears attacked us (despite the numerous warnings posted throughout the area). I didn't even see a deer. Probably because the bear were too busy eating them instead of us. The next morning Tom cooked up some eggs and bacon (and leftover cheetos). Unfortunately we had to head back to civilization that day. Next time we will definitely plan for 2 nights instead of one. It would have been nice to do some hiking and spend more time relaxing by the campfire. 

I can't believe that we have thought about leaving Colorado one day. I don't think I could ever leave the mountains! I love it here so much. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh oh. I think Declan has the Johnson ankles/cankles!