
I remember being pregnant with Declan and being warned about the sleepless nights that go along with motherhood. However, it wasn't until he was born that I truly understood what it means to be "tired". Because the childless clearly have no idea.
And now that I have two, children that is, I get even less sleep than I did when it was just one. Because now I have an infant that demands a bottle at 2 a.m. And sometimes she just wants to hang out and play with mom. Or sometimes she needs a diaper change, and every once in awhile she just decides that she's really pissed off and wants to wake everyone and stay angry for no good reason. And if it isn't the baby getting me up, it's the toddler. It might be that he has wet his bed (through his "nigh nigh" diaper), or maybe he's decided he wants chocolate milk....or apple juice. It could be a nightmare or that he doesn't want the dog in the room. Sometimes he decides he doesn't want the fan on anymore or he needs a certain truck in bed with him. One time he wanted ice cream. The list is never ending really.
And because I'm not a fan of "crying it out", although I'm getting there quickly, my strategy has been to give in to whatever demands are made just so I can get back to sleep as quickly as possible. But I still average about 6 hrs of sleep a night which is why I always look.......rough. And I'm almost always cranky. My poor husband knows exactly what I am talking about. And one day I will write a blog about how it is that men can somehow sleep through every "Moooooommmmm!!!!" that is hollered through the night. This is a great example of "selective hearing".
Childless people have no idea what a luxury it is to be able to lay down and go to sleep at 10 pm and know that they will most likely sleep until the sun comes up. I would give my left tit for a full night's rest. To not be woken up for cartoons at the ass crack of dawn. You know when you hear that first cry and you've just barely woken up, and you're laying there praying to every God you can think of to pleasejustletthatdamnbabygobacktosleep over and over and over again? It's about that time where I start thinking about how nice it would be to just check into a hotel room for a weekend and lock the door.
A girl can dream.
2 comments:
So true! How is it that the guys NEVER HEAR ANYTHING AT NIGHT?!?!?!? Don't even get me started....sometimes when I hear Charlotte cry I will get up, turn up the monitor all the way and then go and make the bottle :)
Ha ha Beth! If I'm really ticked off, I'll walk around in the bedroom with Eva screaming in my arms. One night I slammed the bedroom door on my way out. That woke his ass up! I am evil when I don't get my sleep.
Post a Comment