Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Rocky Mountain High


Wow. I can't believe it's already mid-June. Before we know it, it's going to be end of the summer! Although, I can't say that I would be sad. I'm not a fan of Colorado summers. It gets so hot and dry here. Did you know that the atmosphere could get so dry rain can't fall? Seriously, we haven't seen rain in WEEKS. I always look forward to a good thunderstorm and every night I watch them pass right over us and head east. Boo.

These past couple of weeks have been jam packed.  My parents came out last week and we spent the week being tourists.  Declan and I were treated to a train ride through the Royal Gorge. I learned that it is not a good idea to bring a 17 month old on a 2 1/2 hour train ride. Thank god they served booze. On Thursday we headed up to the mountains for a weekend in Vail.  We decided to take a detour over Mt. Evans, the highest paved road in North America. It is definitely not for the faint of heart. We're talking cliff-hugging roads and tundra conditions. But the views it make it a worthwile day trip. 

We spent the weekend vacationing in a cabin alongside Gore Creek in Vail. It was so nice to get away. Except I am always sad when I leave the mountains. I love it up there. This weekend I swore that one day Tom and I would own a vacation home somewhere in the Rockies. Not sure how that's going to happen yet, considering the avg. cost of a home is well above 7 figures, but I'll keep you posted. Perhaps I'll invest in a lottery ticket or two.

On Saturday, Tom and I (and the pups) left little man with the grandfolks and headed to the Holy Cross wilderness for some hiking. We found a 4x4 trail and headed up (on foot!), and up and up and up...... I swear that trail was straight up the mountain, not a switchback to be found. I was pretty sure I was going to die.  However, the map guaranteed a deserted mining town (always cool) at the summit so I persevered. After 2 1/2 hrs of hiking uphill we came to a giant snowfield and could go no further. No mining town for us. We walked around a bit until I found bear poo and then headed straight back down. The ice cold beer waiting for us back at the cabin made the 7 mile hike well worth the effort!

This week I am preparing for a visit with the in-laws. Tom and I decided to build a deck and we've enlisted their help. I'll post pics as soon as we get our camera fixed!

No comments: